Evolutionary theory is regarded so highly in our society that those who dare to question it usually have their reputation tarnished or are labeled ‘radical fundamentalist’ (or worse). It has been said that in China they criticize Darwinism but not their government and in the USA we criticize government but not Darwinism. How this came to be is for another discussion. But here we ask can Darwin’s theory (or Neo-Darwinism) be criticized?
Here are the 8 criticisms that Christians have in regards to the Darwinist position on evolution:
1. Minor changes over time have not been seen to cause a new ‘in between’ species to emerge. That is, the evidence of macro-evolution is unavailable. Thus, the process of natural selection based on random variations is not supported by scientific evidence.
2. Evolution inadequately accounts for existential features of human existence such as desire for religion, art, higher intelligence, morality, etc.
3. How can life come from non-life? Life cannot emerge from inanimate matter. There is no way that biochemical systems can generate from just chemicals and physics. Evolution does not adequately account for the origin of life.
4. There are too many gaps in the fossil record for evolution to show any transitional life forms. Fossils from transitional life forms are necessary evidence to prove evolution but these fossils are inadequate in quantity and quality.
5. Recall that evolutionary theory states that random variations gives material for natural selection to operate on. Allegedly, this gives rise to the beneficial features of life as generations reproduce. But, now we have the capability to investigate which changes in DNA could result in beneficial mutations – this endeavor was supposed to help us understand which mutations provide a competitive survival advantage in a given species. Recently, the scientific research has shown that 99% of molecular changes in DNA are actually destructive at the biochemical level. These negative changes do not provide for genetic enhancements and beneficial features in species. Thus, the random mutation component of evolutionary theory is contradicted by the evidence.
6. The Evolutionist’s implication of the Darwinian mechanism is that God is not real as we have an alternative explanation of life’s origination/development. The criticism of this implication: Even if the Darwinian mechanism exists, this does not replace an Agent.
7. The Cambrian Explosion challenges the traditional idea of gradual transition of animals because all of these new life forms appear at the roughly the same time (10 million year period = 10 minutes out of 24 hour period. This is so short that it is below a “resolution of the fossil record” by Scientist Jonathan Wells). So again, there is no clear gradual development with the Cambrian fossils as there are too many appearing too quickly.
8.In the Cambrian Explosion we see a certain skeleton and biological structure of animals (feet near legs & fins, eyes near mouth, digestive system near backside) that arose rather suddenly during this explosion period. Additionally, the complexities of the cells in these Cambrian phyla are orders of magnitude higher than simpler structures that predate them.
— Will Myers
Please “Donate” any amount to support the ministry’s research and development. Just click the link below: